Barcelona: Observing Gaudi's "Whimsical Gothic-ness" At Casa Batllo.

I know. I know. "Whimsical" and "Gothic?" Can those two things even go together?

Well, actually, I think they go quite well together. Like Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jelly. (But not Raspberry Jelly, because that is complete and utter shit. And if you ever serve it to me, I will wish upon you a thousand deaths in the form of the Viper getting taken down by the Mountain on this week's episode of Game of Thrones. Sorry - SPOILER ALERT! But I've digressed...)

I visited Casa Batllo today, here in Barcelona. And it was a perfect way to ease into my day, as well as get formally introduced to Antoni Gaudi's work


I has seen pictures, of course. I've probably pinned at lease half a dozen of this building on Pinterest. But to see the front of the building in person was like putting on a pair of a surrealist's glasses. I mean, I could use my senses to know what I was experiencing architecturally was actual... But it still held a dreamlike quality. Which is why I call his work "whimsical."

It is very much fun.

And you see that from the outside of the building...


But it doesn't stop there... You go inside and experience it too...


A fireplace seating area in the shape of a mushroom? I would love that in my house. Who wouldn't? (People who aren't fun, that's who. Sorry... Digressing...)

The waved windows and walls inside had me feeling cozy and special...


This is a house, after all. Someone lived here. I would want to live here now. Look at this ceiling...


It's a like a sunflower sitting on waves.

Some of my favorite bits about the place, though, are the gothic parts. Like this...


Skulls! Or is it just me that sees them in the window shapes? I also love Gaudi's use of light. He gets it... Not too much... Not too little... But the right amount and allowing it to pour adjacently to the darkest parts of a space... It makes me happy.

I also love his use of color...


Just because something has a hint of macabre and goth to it doesn't mean it has to be all muted colors.

This iron work is very "Maleficent," Yes?


And again... Perhaps I am seeing things... But this stairwell space on one side looks haunting!


Or am I the only one who sees two eyes, a nose, and barred teeth?

The most obviously whimsical part of the whole house is the roof...


Dragon scales... Bright colors... Wavy patterns...

But step under that roof, into the attic of the house, and you get brought right back to the goth. Look...


A rib cage room.


I love it. I could easily live in this space. Especially given how he has worked the light into it.

And I couldn't resist one last reference to the skull windows on the inner stairwell...


 See? Whimsical and gothic.

Comments

Popular Posts